Saturday 30 December 2006

The rhythm, the beat, the melody.


Tonight I was listening to a song and I started whistling along with the solo. I knew absolutely every note that was played, every change in beat, just, everything. My friend said that to me, "you know every note!" It was almost without thinking, and it wasn't that I'd heard that song so many times. I just knew. And it's not just with that song either. Remember the song Wherever, Whenever that was released by Shakira? I heard it playing on Rage, and I loved it, but I thought it was an old song, because I could have sworn I'd been listening to it for years. Turns out it had only just been released. It makes me think that there are some songs that you just connect with, that you just know. It's hard to explain exactly what I mean, but I'm trying!
It makes me wonder if anyone else gets this feeling.

There are also some songs that just absolutely touch your heart, that you just think are beautiful. This may seem strange, but Dilemma, which was released by Nelly and Kelly (gosh that sounds silly) was one of those songs for me. More recently, there's a song by Israel Kamakawiwo Ole' which is a kind of medley of Somewhere Over the Rainbow and What a Wonderful World that really...touches my heart, as corny as that sounds. I listen to it, and it brings me to tears, or it just lulls me, until I find myself sitting here with my eyes closed, without even realising.

You know how people get sick of songs? A song that used to evoke so much emotion in you suddenly sounds boring. I think that may be because the song has had a kind of carthartic effect. Once you have listened to the song enough, all the emotion is released, and the song no longer has the same meaning. But it's still really special if a song can do that. And...I think it can.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand exactly what you mean. Very well said. There are those songs that are just so moving. Last year when one of my relatives passed on, on the way home from the funeral, a song was played on the radio that reminded me so much of them. Isn't it funny how things work sometimes? Sometimes I wonder if everything is just coincidential or if there really is such a thing as fate... Who knows..?

joel said...

John Butler's Ocean, the way he plays it in one of his live performances, did exactly that to me... I was absolutely stunned the first time I heard it. It's still an amazing song to me, but I'd love to feel the way I did again, the first time I heard it. It's like a dream you can't remember... It's so beautiful and real when it's there, but when it's gone you just can't seem to get it back again. Like a breath of air on a cold day.

Thanks for the visit/comment, by the way! :) Stop by again sometime!

~Joel -- aside_the_line

Katie said...

Thanks so much for the wonderful comment, it made my day :) I also understand completely what you mean about certain songs...sometimes you hear it and even if it's the first time you feel like it is a part of the soundtrack for your life that has been playing for years...it just makes sense.